Football has fixed rules and regulations that govern the beautiful game. For example, the likes of offside and penalty rules are critical parts of the game. In the same vein, sports betting also has laid-down rules and information. Most people who engage in football betting are often football analysis experts; unfortunately, not everyone who understands football games understands football betting rules and regulations.
This article is a critical analysis of the betting rules and information, what you cannot do and why you shouldn’t do some things.
Why You Need to Stick to Rules When Betting
Sticking to betting rules in football is vital because it helps betters prevent overspending, bankrolling and irresponsible gambling. While these rules are essential, they are flexible and easy to follow. If you’re looking for a big win, check out ZEbet’s jackpot betting options
Remember that the essence of rules is to help you make informed choices based on a team’s outcomes, the team’s strategy, or field formation. Moreso, betting rules reduce impulsive betting behavior, reducing risks. At ZEbet, we advocate for more rational and calculated wagers.
That said, betting rules help bettors adhere, avoid erratic actions, and pay consistent attention to match performance and tracking. This way, you develop a patient approach to betting, which will help you gain a sustainable and profitable betting habit.
Always remember that betting rules improve your chances of a better betting experience.
Is anyone allowed to bet on football matches?
Football fans worldwide can place a bet on football, especially if they are over 18 years old. You can place a bet on almost anything in football, from the outcome of the match to the corners or goals, everything can be placed a bet on. Bookmakers will offer bettors any form of market that they feel will yield a profit. To bet on live football action, check out ZEbet’s live sports betting.
Football Betting Rules
Here are a few glimpses of some football betting rules that you must pay attention to when next you want to place a bet on your favorite players or club:
90 Minutes Only Rule
Most football matches last 90 minutes unless otherwise stated, so the 90 minutes only rule is valid for the 90 minutes plus stoppage time match. In other words, if you place a bet on a match, the bet will only be valid for normal time, not extra time or penalties. If you place a bet on the ‘To Qualify’, the bet will be valid at the end of such periods. This rule applies to bets on match results (e.g., win, draw, or loss) and certain other markets. If a match ends in a draw after 90 minutes, bets placed on a team’s victory or defeat are considered void, and only bets on a draw outcome would be regarded as winning bets.
ZEbet’s Virtual betting is the perfect way to bet on your favorite sports!
Dead Heats in Football Betting
If you bet on a footballer to be a top scorer in a football team, and fortunately, the footballer finishes as a top scorer, but is tied with other players, say three players. That would be a dead heat, and your bet will be settled. In this case, the winning is divided equally among all the tied competitors.
Maximum Payout Rules
This rule is applicable if the bookmaker is willing to pay out to a bettor on a particular wager, regardless of the winnings or the odds. The bookmaker typically sets the maximum payout rules to ensure that they can cover the potential payouts, especially in case of large accumulative bets. Different bookmakers usually have different payout rules, which always differ. This means you should understand how your bookmakers work and determine your bookie’s payout rule before betting.
Own Goals in Football Betting
This rule is focused on goal scorers. When a player scores a goal and goes into their team’s own, it is considered valid for betting purposes. Moreso, own goals are usually counted towards the final score of the match and are also attributed to the name of the player who scored the goal. However, each bookmaker uses specific rules to interpret their goals depending on the betting platforms.
A football match can be abandoned for several reasons, such as weather conditions, technical failures, crowd disturbances or natural disasters. And if this ever happens, your concern will be on the bet you have placed. So, what happens to abandoned matches? It depends on the bet type and what happened to the match. Abandoned matches rules can vary among bookmakers, but here are some things that can happen to your bet:
- Void Bets: Bookmakers might void your bets if a match is abandoned before a certain point, especially if a part of the game has been played. For example, the match was yet to start before the announcement.
- Rescheduling: If a match is rescheduled for whatsoever reason, some bookmakers might carry over the bets, while others will make it void.
- Partial Bets: If a football match is abandoned at half time, the bets placed on the first half would be considered, and the bettor will receive their winnings on the bet.
On this note, you must review the rules of the abandoned match before choosing a bookmaker, so you are aware of the possible situations that may happen to your bet.
A postponed match is different from an abandoned match. The postponed match rule dictates how the bets placed on the original events should be handled or whether the bets should be canceled or carried over. If a postponed match happens, a bookmaker can render the bets void if the match is yet to start or it did not reach a minutes threshold. It may also be carried over, or some bookmakers may refund bettors on the bets placed.
The Goalscorer Betting
Here are some rules to keep in mind before placing a bet on a goal scorer
- If the player you bet on does not participate in the match, the bet is void.
- If the player plays, even if it is a second, your bet will be considered
- If the player scores during penalty kicks or extra time, the bet is not considered winning
To avoid losing all your bets, ensure that you wait for the official line-up of the match before playing a bet of the players. Moreover, a player who spends a short time on the pitch has less chance of scoring.
Personal Rules for Bettors
When betting on football, essential rules and information to consider include:
- Bankroll Management: Set a budget for betting and stick to it to avoid overextending financially.
- Research: Before placing a bet, analyze team form, injuries, head-to-head records, and other relevant data. Also, understand how the odds work to find the best value.
- Types of Bets: Understand bet types like match results, over/under goals, and handicaps. Ensure that you choose the best betting option depending on your desired outcome.
- Avoid impulsive betting, no matter how excited you are.
- Ensure you seek help if you consider yourself addicted to gambling or betting.
- Set realistic expectations for yourself. First, betting does not guarantee wealth; however, if you are a smart bettor, you can utilize the profits from betting and create wealth for yourself.
- Familiarize yourself with betting terms like a stake, payout, calculations and odds. The best way to be familiar is to stay informed about the latest news in football.
- Understand legal regulations in your country or state. Be aware of the legal age for betting and ensure that betting is legal in your country.
Are betting rules different in each country?
Each country has different laws governing some activities like betting and gambling. The UK’s betting laws are considered one of the most liberal betting laws in the world, although each country in Europe has varying laws. Meanwhile, Asia also has a large football betting market, despite the continent’s banning laws.