EPL Round-Up: Newcastle run riot to rip up record books, more problems for Poch; as Liverpool show their class


What a Premier League Sunday we witnessed. This is what went down, Reelradio.com.ng reports.

Newcastle run riot to rip up record books

Newcastle recorded the biggest away win in their history as eight different players netted in a stunning 8-0 thumping of Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

It took 21 minutes for the first goal to arrive when  Anthony Gordon hit the byline in the box and did very well to keep the ball in play before cutting back for Sean Longstaff to open the scoring.

Ten minutes later, the Magpies moved two in front when a corner to the back post, won after a neat routine saw them go close with their previous one, was thumped in by Dan Burn with a diving header.

It didn’t take long for a third to follow and again a defender profited from a set-piece as Sven Botman arched a header home from Kieran Trippier’s delivery for his first Newcastle goal.

The goals continued after the break as Callum Wilson finally netted his goal after a series of first half misses, stooping to head home a Trippier cross (for his third assist) from the right before Gordon curled home a wonder goal from outside the area on the hour mark.

Miguel Almirón then got in on the act as the Magpies netted six on the road in the Premier League for the first time but they weren’t content there as Bruno Guimarães added a seventh from close range.

They then went on to inflict the Blades’ heaviest home league loss upon them as Alexander Isak waltzed through to add number eight and see Newcastle become the first side ever to have eight different players on the scoresheet in a Premier League game.

It also matches Newcastle’s biggest ever top flight win, which came against United’s city rivals Sheffield Wednesday in 1999.


Spurs on Son with spirited derby draw

Arsenal and Tottenham played out a thrilling 2-2 draw as both sides shared the spoils in the north London derby.

Mikel Arteta’s side took the lead on 26 minutes as Bukayo Saka’s cross hit Cristian Romero, who turned the ball into his own net.

The Gunners really should have doubled their lead soon after but Gabriel Jesus fired over after a mistake from James Maddison on the edge of his own area.

Spurs weren’t done though as Brennan Johnson forced a great save from David Raya before Heung-min Son equalised with three minutes of the half to go.

Immediately after the break Arsenal got a penalty as Romero’s bad day got worse thanks to his handball inside the area. Saka stepped up and fired in.

An amazing game got even better just moments later though as Son rescued a point after Jorginho was caught in possession.

Liverpool show their class

Despite a poor first half, Liverpool turned things around and beat West Ham 3-1 thanks to Darwin Núñez and Diogo Jota.

The fist real chance fell to the visitors as a cross from Lucas Paquetá found the unmarked Tomáš Souček inside the area. The Czech midfielder however, saw his header saved well by Alisson.

Liverpool earned themselves a penalty after 15 minutes though, as Mohamed Salah was fouled by Nayef Aguerd. The Egypt international stepped up himself and slotted home from 12 yards.

Right on the stroke of half time however, the Hammers equalised as Jarrod Bowen got ahead of Virgil van Dijk and acrobatically headed home.

Liverpool got themselves back in front on the hour mark as Núñez netted against the run of play.

Jürgen Klopp’s men made the points safe with five minutes to go as Diogo Jota prodded in from close range.

More problems for Poch

Mauricio Pochettino’s nightmare start to life at Chelsea continued as they lost 1-0 to Aston Villa.

Goal-shy Chelsea came into this encounter with Aston Villa having failed to score in their of their previous two Premier League games.

Axel Disasi thought he had scored for the Blues right on half time but his effort was ruled out for offside.

After the break, Mauricio Pochettino’s side were reduced to 10 men on the hour mark as Malo Gusto had his yellow card upgraded to a red after a poor challenge on Lucas Digne.

And it got even worse for the home side as Ollie Watkins netted with 15 minutes to go for back-to-back Stamford Bridge wins.

Magical Mitoma picks Cherries off as Seagulls soar

Brighton went up to third in the Premier League table after they beat Bournemouth 3-1.

It was the visitors who took the lead on 25 minutes however, as Dominic Solanke finished well after an error from Bart Verbruggen.

As the half went into added time though, Brighton pulled one back as Milos Kerkez put the ball into his own net.

Brighton turned it around immediately when Kaoru Mitoma netted after half-time and the Japan international doubled his tally for the day late on with another lovely header.


Leave a Reply